I tipped Yuki’s ears today and I’m so proud that I did such a good job!! Thanks Zoraida Bros for helping to keep Yuki still & Elvys Maldonado for showing me how to tip his ears. Check out how Yuki looks:
1. Put a little bit of 91% alcohol on a napkin & gently cleaned the leather part of the ear.
(cleaning the ear removes any dirt & oil that would prevent the tape to stick)
2. Trimmed a small amount of hair by the ear that was in the way.
3. Cut a small piece of tape & smear it on the leather part of the ear, then throw it out.
(this helped make the ear sticky)
4. Cut a small piece of tape, put a drop of Tear Mender on the sticky side, place the sticky side of the tape on the low area on the leather of the ear (also called the “button” I think). Hold the taped ear for about 30 seconds. This is done for both ears.
5. Cut a small piece of tape, put a drop of Tear Mender on the sticky side, place the sticky side of the tape on the top on the leather of the ear. Don’t get hair on the tape or else it may not stick well. Hold the taped ear for about 30 seconds. This is done for both ears.
6. Then cut a longer piece of tape, about 2″, fold it in a circle so that the sticky side faces outward. Put a drop of the Tear Mender on both sides of the tape that’s now in a circle.
7. Place it on the tape that was just put in the ear and fold the ear down. Hold the ear together for about a minute. This is done for both ears.
When folding the ear down, they say to fold less than half. I did it about half way because I like the ear a little more tipped. We had Yuki sit, then we held a small treat & told him to stay. When I finished a step, we gave him the treat. He behaved so well!